Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the class hours and location? Are there any prerequisites?
The classes are held at Mercy Hospital in Coon Rapids. Friday CE Intro starts at 8am and goes until 4pm, then Breastfeeding resumes at 5pm and goes until 8pm. The Saturdy and Sunday workshops begins at 8am and go until 5:30pm. (or so) There are two books that I would like you to read. "The Doula Book" and "The Birth Partner". You can find these books at the library and on discount book sale web sites.
2. Does this workshop count toward my certification? What else do I need to do to become certified?
Yes, this workshop is step #1 in the DONA International certification process. All of the certification requirements are listed on the dona.org web site and the details will be covered during the workshop.
3. Do I have to have any medical training to take this workshop?
No, there is no medical training required.
4. I have a breastfeeding baby. Is there a place/time to use a breast pump during the workshop?
Yes, many breastfeeding mothers have attended this workshop. There are breaks for pumping and private locations if needed.
5. If I cannot attend the workshop I have registered for, can I transfer my registration to a different workshop date?
Yes, your registration can be transferred to another workshop date if you are unable to attend the original date registered for.
6. How soon do I have to register before the workshop begins?
I usually order materials for the workshop two weeks before it begins. If you register after this time, I will let you know if there are still space/materials available.
7. What do I need to bring with me to the class?
A pen and a notebook. Also, if you have any diet or nutritional needs that are specific to you, you would want to bring food/beverages that meet those needs.
8. What should I wear to the workshop?
Casual, comfortable clothes (jeans, stretch pants etc.) that should be layered to adjust to air conditioning/heat fluctuations. Comfortable shoes.
9. I have not had children. Can I still be a doula?
Absolutely! There are many women who have not had children yet serving families very well.
10. What is your refund policy
Full refund for cancellations made 2 weeks in advance minus the 2.9% credit card fees. If you must cancel within 2 weeks of workshop you may transfer to another class but no refund can be made as your seat has been sold and materials purchased.
I understand that special circumstances arise from time to time, please contact me directly if your situation is urgent or requires a special arrangement.